Back injury didn’t allow him to play well in singles, but that didn’t stop Dusan Lajovic to play in doubles in Umag. In spite of health issues he and Franko Skugor advanced into semifinals where they’ll play second seeds Pablo Cuevas and Horacio Zeballos.
– Everything is good with my back. After this tournament I will have a little pause, and enough time to recover – Lajovic said.
He spoke about the first round singles lost to Teymuraz Gabashvili.
– I wasn’t able to play how I wanted, there was pain in my back, I couldn’t serve well, and he took advantage of that.
Last year Dutzee didn’t have a single win on ATP tour matches, while this year he has already 14.
– There are many things that are different then one year ago, one of those are qualifications. Last season in order to get to the main draw I had to play three round of qualifications, and then if I succeed in that, in first round I would be tired, and my opponent would be fresh and ready to play. Besides that on most tournaments I didn’t go cause I planned to, just went there to give it a shot. Now it’s much better, my rankings allow me to go directly in main draw and that is helping me a lot.
Of course, Dusan isn’t forgetting the last years Davis cup final and match against Radek Stepanek in „Belgrade arena“
– That was my first big experience, something that I hadn’t been used to. Simply put, I didn’t stand a chance against such an experienced and good player. However, that was a really good thing for my career, because it had big effect on good results this year.
Progress is evident.
– I feel like a much better player now, then a year ago. Feel much different on the court, don’t lose matches easily, and it doesn’t happen that I don’t have solutions during the match, I’m aware that I can play against any opponent.
That doesn’t mean that there is no space for improvements.
– There are some things that I can work on, if I could choose then that would definitely be moving on the court and flexibility. Last year my goal was to get in TOP 100, and that created some additional and unnecessary pressure. That’s why only the thing that I want is to play better and to improve more.
At the end Serbian player spoke about player differences on Challengers and ATP tournaments.
– Main difference is consistency. On Challengers it happens that one player plays two matches great, and that on the third one he can’t put a ball in the court. Those players lack self confidence. A very good example are players in TOP 50, even when they have a bad day, and they play bad, they never go under a certain level – Lajovic concluded.
In thursday Dutzee had a day off, but he used it to play with kids, and they had a lot of fun. Because he lost the „match“, he had to do a few push-ups, and even that kept a huge smile on everyones faces.